Military funeral services are distinguished ceremonies demonstrating deep gratitude to those who faithfully served our country in the Armed Forces. At Dietrich-Mothershead Funeral Home in De Soto, MO, we help families of deceased veterans arrange their loved one’s funeral service to show the utmost honor and respect. We feel privileged to assist you with coordinating Veterans Burial Benefits, Military Honors, National or State Veterans Cemetery burials, and more.
Contact our compassionate staff today about veteran funerals in De Soto, MO.
Military Funeral Protocol
United States law mandates that eligible veterans receive military funeral honors at no cost if requested by the family. Like traditional funeral services, veterans services provide the opportunity to remember the deceased and highlight their accomplishments. However, military funerals include specific formal proceedings as a final demonstration of gratitude and appreciation for those who served our nation:
- Folding and presentation of the flag: At least two Armed Forces members must attend a veteran funeral as an honor guard detail. A representative from the veteran’s parent service branch presents a folded American flag to the next of kin or designated individual.
- Playing of “Taps”: “Taps” is an emotionally moving and patriotic military funeral tradition, whether played via a live ceremonial bugle performance or high-quality recording.
- Placement of a headstone or marker: Those that apply for Veterans Benefits can receive a headstone, marker, or medallion from the Veterans Administration at no cost.
- Three-volley rifle salute: Missouri veterans typically receive a three-volley rifle salute, where a rifle party fires empty cartridges into the air three times as an act of honor.
We’ve made it easy to send your email inquiries via our contact form. Delivered in minutes, your message will not sit in our Inbox for long. We guarantee to respond within one business day. Contact us for services in De Soto, Hillsboro, Festus, Herculaneum, and surrounding municipalities.Contact Us Today to Request a Quote
Qualifications for Military Burial
Military Honors are available to eligible members of the Army, Marines, Navy, Coast Guard, Air Force, and National Guard. Qualified members of the Armed Forces, as set forth by the Department of Defense, include:
- Military members who died on active duty or within the Selected Reserves
- Former military members who served on active duty or were in the Selected Reserve and were discharged honorably
- Former military members who completed at least one enlistment term or initial obligated service in the Selected Reserve and were discharged honorably
How We Help With De Soto Veteran Funerals
It’s our goal at Dietrich-Mothershead to ensure your veteran loved one receives the highest level of respect and honor. Our caring funeral directors can assist you in numerous aspects of the military funeral service, such as:
- Arranging burial in a National or State Veterans Cemetery. Typically, scheduling burial in a National or State Veterans Cemetery begins with ensuring eligibility. Those eligible for burial include veterans of the Armed Forces, service members who died on active duty, a veteran’s spouse, and a veteran’s minor-aged child. Some State Veterans Cemeteries have residency requirements.
- Arranging Military Honors provided by the Missouri Military Honors Program. The Missouri Military Funeral Honors Program is a cooperative effort between the Air National Guard and Missouri Army, active members of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, Veterans Organizations, and funeral directors. At a minimum, Military Honors include folding and presenting the flag and playing “Taps.”
- Coordinating a processional escort by the Patriot Guard. The Patriot Guard is an organization of military members and citizens who pay respects to deceased veterans and their families through a motorcycle and vehicle procession. Their goal is to shield mourners from distractions during the drive from funeral service to burial.
- The Veterans Burial Benefits application process. Families of eligible veterans (those who received a VA pension or disability compensation) buried in a private cemetery may receive reimbursement for burial expenses from the Veterans Administration. Further, the VA provides headstones, markers, or medallions, and the American flag at no cost to families.
- Coordination with local Veterans groups who may participate in the funeral service. Provide us the name and contact information of the local Veterans groups you wish to participate in your loved one’s service, and we’ll handle the rest.
Contact Us to Learn About Veteran Funerals
Dietrich-Mothershead Funeral Home recognizes the importance of honoring those who fought for our freedoms. We remain active members of the Missouri Military Funeral Honors Program and can assist you with coordinating and obtaining all relevant details. We also provide personalized American-made caskets and burial vaults that commemorate military service.
Let us help you demonstrate gratitude for your veteran’s sacrifices in a military funeral. Contact us with any questions you may have regarding veteran funerals in De Soto, MO. We’re here to provide support and expert guidance.
Here To Help You
Your loved one’s life should be honored in a way that would make them proud. Our team of caring, compassionate funeral directors is available to help 24 hours a day to help you add the personal touches that celebrate their life.
No matter if you want to honor your loved one with a casual ceremony or a formal one, our services allow all attending the service to express their heartfelt gratitude for the part their loved one played in shaping their life.
We provided memorial service options for loved ones who choose cremation over a traditional burial. All of our cremation services include assistance with the permanent placement of the urn at a cemetery or columbarium.